Originally formed in 1928, the Club ceased activities during the Great Depression.
The Club was reformed on 17 August 1945. Alf Higgins was the inaugural President and the Club quickly grew to 120 members. What are now known as the No 1 and the Doug Osborne greens were constructed in 1946 by contractors and member volunteers and opened in September 1946. A Ladies Club was also established in 1946 and presided over by Mrs S Thomas and the Ladies Club quickly grew to 40 members.
Overhead lights were installed over the No 1 green in 1947 (though we have renewed the globes a few times since.
Leasehold of the land currently occupied by the Club was purchased in 1950 for the handsome sum of 3,500 pounds! The clubhouse was built in 1954.
By 1958, the Club had 190 members and fielded 8 pennant sides. It was tough and a privilege to become a member of Bentleigh Bowls Club with long waiting lists in place for membership.
Additional land was acquired around 1961 to allow the No 2 green to be constructed. This gave Bentleigh Bowling Club 3 magnificent grass greens in June 1963.
In 1978 the clubhouse was expanded to provide a bar area and the Club's liquor license was obtained.
Lights were installed over the No 2 green in 2013 thanks to a significant contribution from the Victorian State Government with the whole project overseen by then Club Secretary, Mr Garry Moore. Timber decking was also installed outside the bar area in 2013, creating a wonderful environment to observe bowls on the No 2 green.
In 2016, the Club made a significant investment to replace the No 2 green with a new synthetic surface. The project required the site of the green to be fully excavated, new drainage installed and built up in layers to the final surface you can see now. This green will be one of the best in the region with a consistent surface, first class lighting, easy access to bar and other facilities and ample space for viewing the action. This major project was almost fully funded by the Club.